Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Velvet December

I did a thorough closet cleanout on Saturday and found this dress. I’ve had it for nearly eight years. It’s shorter than when I first bought it (I took it up a few inches) and the velveteen is marred in a few spots, but it’s otherwise unchanged. Polyester really does last forever.


Jacket, Mossimo. Blouse, Sans Souci. Dress, New York & Company. Tights, MeMoi. Boots, Lauren Ralph Lauren. Bag, Charming Charlie. Tassel charm, Epcot Morocco. Arrowhead pendants, thrifted.


The dress the first time I wore it (January 2007):


Winter is for velvet . . . and hot toddies! After I posted my 365 photo on instagram, I got a request for a recipe. This is my cure for a sore throat:


Ingredients
Water
Tea (I prefer lemon)
Lemon
Stick cinnamon*
Whole cloves
Cinnamon whiskey**

Combine tea bag, one lemon wedge, one stick of cinnamon, and 2 whole cloves in a microwave-safe mug. Add water to about one inch from the top. (You want to leave room for the whiskey.) Microwave until very hot.
Remove from microwave and fill to the brim with cinnamon whiskey. Carefully stir and enjoy!

This is both numbing and soothing for a sore throat. If you are suffering from other cold or flu-like symptoms, you will forget you’re sick at all after a few of these!

*I’m cheap and cinnamon sticks are expensive, so I reuse the stick for multiple toddies

**You can also substitute other sweetened whiskeys, like honey, apple, or maple flavored whiskey. If you use an unsweetened whiskey, add a tablespoon or two of honey to the cup before microwaving.

4 comments:

Sheila said...

I remember that dress! I love seeing how your style has changed over the years.

That cinnamon whisky is also excellent in chili hot chocolate. Just sayin'...

Anonymous said...

Nice outfit! Love the color additions, especially the yellow tassel.

Writing down recipe. I feel a cold coming on, so maybe this will be helpful.

~J

Lorena said...

I recall when you wore this dress. OMG, has it been that long ?!
It looks completely different today than it did back then.

Anonymous said...

Ginger liqueur (the cloudy kind) is also amazing for numbing a sore throat, as is cayenne pepper stirred into oj (for non-drinking times). -Carrie