Thursday, December 23, 2010

Poncho Spirit

I’m afraid you will be seeing me in ponchos more often...now that I have appropriate outerwear to wear on top.


Poncho, Newport News. Dress, Forever 21. Sweater (under dress), Target. Tights, Urban Outfitters. Booties, Madden Girl. Necklace, vintage. Bracelets, Girl Props.


I have three ponchos. The red one I’m wearing today is perfect for the holiday season. The black ones go with anything.



Ponchos* get a lot of hate. In fact, the cropped poncho (pictured above right) had an entire hateful thread devoted to it on a forum. What’s your verdict? Love or hate? In or out? Or just don’t care?

(“Poncho” is the weirdest word, though. Say it over and over….paaaaanchoh, paaaaanchoh. Once you’ve entered semantic satiation it becomes complete nonsense. And if you’re Stanley Toothbrush, the ponchos of the world will disappear.)

15 comments:

jaidels said...

The cropped poncho is actually my favorite of the three - very cute!

mispapelicos said...

I do not like ponchos, but you look ok in it.Love your boots and tights a lot.
Merry Cxmas pearly friend.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

mispapelicos said...

I am following you now.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Unknown said...

loving the poncho, it looks soo warm!! :)
also, im kind of in love with your boots... ;) <3
-Rosie x

-smatz- said...

This inspired my last-day-of-work-before-Christmas outfit today.


You look so gorgeous in red!!!

Merry Christmas!!

-smatz- said...

Also, I am totally pro-poncho (on you). You are lean enough to rock it. I think heavier folks tend to look like a pile of blankets in them. But you are stunning :)

June said...

I love ponchos but can't seem to rock them. Mostly, I can't carry a bag with them (necessary for when I go to work or go out with my small children) - do I throw it over the poncho and squish the lines? Go under the poncho and look like a weird sideways hunchback? Gah. So I avoid the ponchos.

Donna said...

You look great in your ponchos. I tend to look like a fireplug with a blanket over it. Stay warm, we're all expecting more snow!

Lisa said...

I love PONCHOS...and I am in desperate want of one just like your red one...maybe in black, red gray or cream. I can't seem to find them in stores! Love, love, love them...don't understand the poncho hate!

Melissa said...

The short cropped one is actually my favorite! While ponchos are not for me, I don't think twice seeing someone else in them.

Lola said...

Since you asked, I'm so not a poncho fan. I don't like Snuggies, either, so there you have it.

Trystan L. Bass said...

"Poncho" is a hilarious word, agreed! But hard to wear from a practicality standpoint. Once you put it on, you kinda have to leave it on because taking it on & off messes up your hair. Unlike a jacket/cardigan. That's my concern w/them.

Carrying a shoulder bag underneath or over a poncho looks a little funny, but it's not the deal-breaker that the messy hair is (it's just too hard to get my hair looking decent!).

Capes, however, I adore :-)

Healthy and Homemade said...

They're great on you, but not for me! I need to emphasize my upper body to offset my wide hips. A poncho would be a disaster on my frame.

Megan G said...

Eh, I could take it or leave it, it just doesn't appeal to my personal 'aesthetic'. It's hard to rock a triangle of fabric, but you seem to do it. I like the way you've styled the red one.

Laurel said...

I dislike ponchos. They just look too much like wearing a blanket in my opinion.