Saturday, May 22, 2010

Obey


Shepard Fairey has put up a number of controversial murals in the Cincinnati area, as a part of his installation at the Contemporary Arts Center. This mural, on Whetsel, near Madison, is the most recent. A group of offended residents threatened to deface the mural on Saturday evening, but it was still intact when we left our 8 pm performance.


Vest, borrowed from New Gate. Belt, thrifted. Dress, Body Central. Bag, Target. Earrings, Pangaea. Boots, Blowfish.

Honestly, I don’t know what is so offensive about the mural.



Photos by Beefy Muchacho

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shepard Fairey's work and career trajectory fascinate me. Thanks for posting some images of these murals ...

And those perforated boots are marvelous.

Unknown said...

I really love your new hair! x

LaShaune said...

I really wish that installation would come to Houston, but folks here are under the impression that if it isn't French, then it isn't art.

Branka said...

Your haircolor is AWESOME!

Briget said...

All Riiiiight! I love your blog and usually lurk, but come and see the Shepard Fairey on our building* in Silverton!

*Women Writing for (a) Change
6906 Plainfield Rd.

Beefy Muchacho said...

The more I look at the mural the more interesting I find it. I particularly like the piece that curls around to the side.

Also... awesome photos.

FlamingoNW said...

Do people think it's a pinko commie mural? I think it looks awesome...

...bill said...

(dancing allowed)

Unknown said...

It seems that someone in this lovely little city always finds offense in something ;) Without seeing the full content of it, I can't seem to find anything in particular? Art is just that, Art! Your hair is stunning, by the way. How are you liking it?

Pretty Shiny Sparkly said...

Just writing to say hi from the Sweet & Rough challenge! Great blog!
xoxo
http://prettyshinysparkly.com

Audi said...

I don't see what's offensive about it either -- I think the mural is gorgeous. Love the orange/khaki combo you're rocking here.